Origin Protocol OGN
Add to Watchlist
Adjusted Compound Reward
The Origin Token
The Origin Token (OGN) is the governance and value accrual token for the entire Origin Platform and suite of products.
Decentralized governance for the OUSD protocol will happen first. Following the successful migration of making OUSD community-owned, will begin the progressive decentralization of the Origin commerce platform as well.
Today, the OUSD protocol is already currently undergoing a progressive path to full decentralization. Four phases are outlined to full decentralization and it is currently phase 2.
OGN token holders will be able to create and vote on proposals to govern the underlying protocol. This may include:
- Adding/removing new types of yield-earning strategies
- Allocating capital across a basket of strategies
- Determining what fees are charged by the protocol
- Determining what incentives (e.g. OGN rewards for liquidity mining) are offered on an ongoing basis
Note that decentralized governance privileges will not apply to the centralized applications like the peer-to-peer payments product or debit card to be built on OUSD in the near-term. However, the underlying protocol will be fully decentralized before the end of 2021.
OGN holders will benefit directly from any protocol revenues and fees generated from products built on the Origin Platform. This includes on-chain revenue from OUSD as well as potential off-chain revenue sources from OUSD or Origin commerce products in the future.
Currently, 10% of DeFi yields generated from OUSD are collected as a protocol performance fee. These on-chain fees are being used to buy back OGN on the market, generating consistent buy pressure for OUSD’s governance token.
Through decentralized governance, the community will be able to adjust performance fee settings as well as other value accrual parameters.
- For example, the community may vote for variable performance fees based on OUSD yield benchmarks (e.g. higher performance fees when OUSD is returning 50%%+ yields vs. 20%%+ yields).
- Other community-proposed models may include directing these performance fees to OGN holders directly as dividends to OGN holders.
- Additional models may reward larger fees to OGN holders that stake their tokens (e.g. OGN holders that stake for 3 months will receive more rewards than those that stake for 1 month)
OGN holders are therefore incentivized to promote OUSD. As OUSD circulating supply increases, performance fees generated will also increase, directly benefiting OGN holders financially. The converse is also true. OUSD holders are incentivized to be OGN holders, so they can participate actively in the governance of the protocol. This creates a strong flywheel effect between Origin’s two tokens.
Origin Token (OGN) is intended as the governance token for OUSD and OGN will play an increasingly important role as the Origin Platform becomes more decentralized. Today, users can stake their OGN tokens to earn additional OGN after a chosen staking period has elapsed.
Visit the OUSD DApp in a web3-enabled browser to stake your OGN.
The initial staking program offers three staking periods and respective yields:
- 30-day staking period: Earn 7.5% annualized interest
- 90-day staking period: Earn 12.5% annualized interest
- 365-day staking period: Earn 25% annualized interest
Staked tokens will be locked for the duration of the staking period. After each staking period ends, you will be able to claim both your initial OGN (principal) and yield.
OGN is currently trading on top exchanges like Binance, Huobi, Upbit, Bittrex Global, and dozens more. Visit the Origin website to learn more about OGN or check out the OGN Dashboard to track important token metrics.
Origin is an open-source platform that enables the creation of peer-to-peer marketplaces and e-commerce applications. The Origin Platform initially targets the global sharing economy, allowing buyers and sellers of fractional use goods and services (car-sharing, service-based tasks, home-sharing, etc.) to transact on the distributed, open web. Using the Ethereum blockchain and Interplanetary File System (IPFS), the platform and its community participants can interact in a peer-to-peer fashion, allowing for the creation and booking of services and goods without traditional intermediaries.