Polkadot & Encode Hack Club Hackathon
Add to Watchlist
Normal, Low Risks
As part of fourth university blockchain hackathon, team are delighted to announce one of Gold Partners — Polkadot.
For those that don’t know, the Encode Hack Club is a 10-week blockchain hackathon aimed at universities and hackers.
When is it?
Starting on 9th November, it lasts 10 weeks — 5 weeks for learning and 5 weeks for hacking.
Encode is a university and hacker blockchain community, helping to educate, build and support early-stage startups. Find out more via website.
Polkadot is a next-generation blockchain protocol connecting multiple specialized blockchains into one unified network. The network was founded by Dr. Gavin Wood, cofounder and CTO of Ethereum. Designed as part of a broad vision for a web that returns control to individuals over internet monopolies, Polkadot builds on the revolutionary promise of previous blockchain networks while offering several fundamental advantages. Learn more at polkadot.network and join the Polkadot Discord.
Polkadot is offering three categories of challenges with prizes totalling $36,000:
- Easy (Onboarding) — $6,000
- Intermediate (Build a DApp) — $20,000
- Hard (Build a Blockchain) — $10,000
1. Easy — Complete Onboarding Challenges: Complete up to 6 entry-level Substrate tutorials to begin learning how to build with Polkadot and Substrate.
$6,000 total: $25 USD per challenge (6 total). The first 40 submissions per challenge are eligible for the prize.
2. Intermediate — Build a DApp: With Polkadot, DApps are built parachains with smart contract functionality at the parachain layer, which in the very near future, will begin connecting to Polkadot’s Relay Chain. In this challenge, build a DApp on a Polkadot parachain candidate of your choice (Plasm, Phala, Moonbeam, or Acala).
- Plasm: $3k
- Phala: $3k
- Moonbeam: $3k
- Acala: $3k
- Plasm: $2k
- Phala: $2k
- Moonbeam: $2k
- Acala: $2k
Hard — Build a Blockchain: Substrate is the framework used to build custom blockchains compatible with Polkadot. In this challenge, build a custom blockchain using Substrate that could eventually become a platform within the Polkadot ecosystem.
- 1st place: $6,000
- 2nd place: $4,000
How it works:
Teams of 1–6 can either:
- Work on their own idea or startup
- Answer a technical challenge by partners.
There is an overall top prize pool of £5k, as well as prizes per sponsors.
Who can enter?
Anyone can take part. In particular:
The hackathon is split into two stages:
Learn: Learn about blockchain, the technologies and partners involved through workshops and educational material.
Hack: Build your project
Register for the first stage by 9th Nov 2020
Learn: 9th Nov 2020 to 13th Dec 2020
Hack: 14th Dec 2020 to 17th Jan 2021
Submissions: 17th Jan 2021
Judging: Mid to Late Jan 2021
Prizegiving: February 2021
Support during the hackathon
- Weekly technical workshops and socials.
- Regular 1–1s with mentors.
- Direct line to technical support.
- Online Discord Community
For the hackathon here. Registration is open till 13th December.