How to participate
- Visit the Event page
- Join the Hackathons Chat Workspace
- Start Work via Gitcoin
- Submit Work via Gitcoin
- Read details below
Why Hack the Rainbow?
Hack the Rainbow will be a creative, collaborative, cross chain hackathon focused on building the bridges needed to make web3 an accessible reality for everyone. Our aim is to work with our Ethereum partners and bring together the best tools for that build.
This is our collective chance to explore and create that "wide range of related and colourful things" that can bring Ethereum and NEAR together. We see it as a chance to deliver community education and broaden opportunity for everyone wanting to explore the power of interoperability and interconnectedness.
What you can do
- Hack the Rainbow will take place online from 15th to 30th of Sep
- Teams and individuals can sign-up on Gitcoin starting today!
- $50K+ main prize pool (in NEAR & DAI) and additional bounties from Hackathon partners
- 20% referral bonus for NEAR Guilds and hacker clubs/dev groups who refer participants
- Exclusive access to Hopin for team building, workshops, and mentorship sessions
Prizes are 80% $NEAR tokens and 20% DAI (here expressed in $ equivalent):
- 20x 500$ for projects using ETH<>NEAR Rainbow Bridge
- 1x 5K overall winner
- 5x 3K runner ups
- 20x 1k top 20 submissions
All project should be built on NEAR, but using the ETH<>NEAR bridge is optional.
There will be additional bounties and boosted ideas from other hackathon partners. All submissions qualify for the main NEAR prize pool and additionally partner bounties if they qualify.
The Rainbow Bridge
The Rainbow Bridge allows developers to utilize Ethereum assets and smart contracts on NEAR—a fast, scalable, and low-cost environment. The Bridge has the power to accelerate community development as it allows ETH users immediate access to apps built on NEAR.
This is the first trustless bridge of its kind. It supports ERC20, ERC721, and remains fully decentralized and adaptable to any future protocol changes on either side. You can already check out the Github repo and read the launch blog to find out more about the bridge.
What to expect:
Our two week hackathon starts September 15 but will be preceded by two weeks of educational content so that all participants can get up to speed with NEAR, the bridge and all the possibilities. All workshops will be recorded on Crowdcast and available publicly for you to watch at any time! You can watch some of the previous workshops here on Crowdcast and make sure to follow us to get the latest updates.
Before the hackathon
- If you're solo and looking to join a team, we help you identify and connect with other hackers.
- LEARN: there will be two weeks of educational sessions in the run-up to the hackathon so make sure you tune in and learn the ins and outs.
- Come up with ideas! There will be plenty of bounties to work on but we'd love for you to get creative and come up with an exciting new project
During the hackathon (15 days)
- You work on your hack!
- 2x virtual immersive events during the weekends on Hopin where each team gets their own dedicated room and support/mentorship for their projects.
- We will have regular office hours so that you can ask all your questions and feel supported throughout.
- Access to on-call core team members on Discord.
At the end of 15 days, we begin the judging process.
- You finalize and submit your hack and make your bounty submissions.
- You'll get to present your project in front of our expert judges.
- Win awesome bounties & prizes.
- Every valid submission gets a small thank you gift from NEAR Collective.
- An asynchronous panel of engineers will judge your hack. They will rate your project on a scale from 1-5 on the following grades.
- Your hack will be graded on the following scale:
- Adherence to challenge (E.g. how well does it solve the proposed problem)
- Practicality in the real world
- Originality and innovation
- Technicality of implementation
- Design and usability
- Each prize will go to one application that best meets the listed criteria.
- Your application can qualify for several prizes.
Calls to Action
- If you’re a builder, hacker, designer, … you can sign up now! You can also watch previous NEAR 101 workshops like this one to get started with BUIDLing on NEAR!
- If you run a local hackathon or builder community you can earn 10% of the bounty prize of winning teams referred by you. And to make it even better, those teams also get a 10% bonus if they join using your referral code! Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to get you setup and ready to go.
If you would like to partner with us for this hackathon contact us email@example.com to discuss collab opportunities.