About Encode Club
The purpose of Encode is to educate, support and catalyse the emergence of new talent into the blockchain space. We work across 100+ universities worldwide, running hackathons, accelerators, education series as well as investing and recruiting the best to join leading blockchain companies. Read more here.
Polkadot is an open-source network protocol that allows arbitrary data — not just tokens — to be transferred across blockchains. It’s built to connect private and consortium chains, public and permissionless networks, oracles, and future technologies that are yet to be created.
Polkadot facilitates a decentralized internet where independent blockchains can exchange information and transactions in a trustless way via the Polkadot relay chain.
Polkadot is the flagship project by the Web3 Foundation, a Swiss Foundation founded to facilitate a fully functional and user-friendly decentralized web. Find out more here: polkadot.network
How it Works
- Register for the hackathon here.
- You can join as an individual or as a team of up to 6.
- There will be sessions to find teammates at the start of the hackathon.
- The hackathon lasts 8 weeks, with workshops and 1–1 mentoring sessions happening throughout the hackathon.
- You are not expected to work every minute of the 8 weeks, we give you lots of flexibility so you can find time on evenings and weekends to learn, build at your own pace, and develop your idea.
- You submit your project at the end of the hackathon. You should submit a demo, a video, codebase, and, optionally, a presentation.
- After the hackathon is over, we start the judging process!
- The best 8 projects are chosen to pitch in a final, at which all the prizes will be announced!
General Prizes (paid in DOT)
- Easy: Complete Onboarding Challenges: Complete up to 5 entry-level Substrate tutorials to begin learning how to build with Polkadot and Substrate. Find the tutorials here
- Prizes: $10,000 total: $20 USD per challenge (5 max per person) until $10,000 has been filled.
- Medium: Best dApp on any parachain
- Prizes: 1st: $3k, 2nd: $2k, 3rd: $1k, Runners up: $500 x 4
- Hard: Build a blockchain. Substrate is the framework used to build custom blockchains compatible with Polkadot. In this challenge, build a custom blockchain using Substrate that could eventually become a platform within the Polkadot ecosystem.
- Prizes: 1st: $4k, 2nd: $3k, 3rd: $2k
Who can enter?
Anyone can take part. In particular:
- Attendees of the Encode Polkadot Educate Series
Support during the hackathon
- Regular 1–1s with the Encode team
- Direct line to technical support
- Online Discord Community
- Register by Thursday 9th September 2021
- Launch Event: Thursday 9th September 2021
- Late Registration by Thursday 3rd October 2021
- Submission Date: Sunday 31st October 2021
- Final and prizegiving: Thursday 11th November 2021
Launch Event — Thursday 9th September 2021 at 5:30pm GMT+1
SubQuery Workshop — Monday 13th September 2021 at 7:30pm GMT+1
Final and Prizegiving — Thursday 11th November 2021 at 5:30pm GMT+1